Friday, November 20, 2009

Judge Not


"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?" -Matthew 7:1-3

I personally struggle with judgement of others. I judge everyone I run into during the day. Co-workers, strangers, other drivers on the road, even family.

I find that we judge based on issues that we struggle with ourselves.

For instance, we judge the size of people when we ourselves are overweight or underweight as well.

We criticize "bad parents" when we don't even know where our own kids are.

We gossip about another's marriage when our own marriages need counseling and improvement as well.

When Jesus says that the way we judge people is how we will be judged, a feeling of fear comes over a lot of us.

There are days when that verse makes me smile, because I feel confident that I've not judged anyone too harshly. But then again, there are other days where it sends trepidation into my soul.

On the highway the other day, there was a wreck so the the far left lane was closed, and I needed to get into a different lane. Traffic was bumper to bumper, and long story short, I thought a guy was going to let me in, but instead he sped up and flipped me off.

My mind rushed with things I wanted to call him, say to him, do to him.

And as "God of Wonders" was playing through my speakers (I'm not kidding), I realized that my anger was strictly Satan, trying to divide me from my ultimate goal in life; which is showing people who Christ is through my words and actions.

I should have prayed for him. But, I honestly didn't. Instead, I chose to judge him based on his driving and kindness to others. There was a strong feeling of guilt on my heart when I realized this, but I know that God will put me in another opportunity soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

Challenge: The very next time someone says something disrespectful, rude, or inappropriate to you just walk away and pray for them. Remember, the Bible says that we must be slow to anger. Pray for that man or woman until you're no longer angry, no matter how long it takes.

No comments:

Post a Comment