Saturday, November 21, 2009

Remembering What We Wish to Forget

Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men." – Matthew 16:23


When the unequivocal feeling of guilt seeps into your mind, it is most difficult to take yourself away from that low place. It all comes down to knowing who the enemy is and how he works.

As I was lifting weights at the gym today, the most random and horrible feeling of guilt came to me. The guilt pertained to a past sin that I committed, confessed, and (according to The Word) was forgiven of.


Despite my confession long ago, I felt the need to apologize to God, again. I started to say, “I’m so sorr…” but an overwhelming influence in my spirit shouted, “No! I’ve already forgiven that sin. Satan wants you to remember.”


God does not evoke us or place the feeling of guilt on us.


Two of Satan’s best known ploys are tempting and reminding. We either feel the temptation to repeat past sin, or we become reminded of past sin. Being reminded of past sin puts us one step farther from being close to God.


The best spiritual day in the world can come crashing down by just remembering that one time. That one time you lied. That one time when you looked at that attractive woman a little too long. That one time when you refused to follow what God was telling you to do. That one time when you didn’t put all 10% of your income in the plate.


God doesn’t remember our sins, why should we?


Don’t let Satan get away with even reminding you of the sins you’ve repented of. It’s his pathetic way of attempting to separate us from the Everlasting.


Challenge: If you become reminded of a past sin, it’s not God who is reminding you, it’s Satan. Speak the name of Jesus, repeat your favorite Bible verse, or simply say, “Thank you so much for your forgiveness of that, Lord.”

No comments:

Post a Comment